Wednesday 3 February 2016

One Person Can Make a Difference

Have you ever met someone only once and that person had a huge impact on you? I have. Last year when I went to our Washington DC office I met one of my colleagues. It was my first time to meet her. We had previously communicated work wise here and there on email but not much. Her kindness and care towards me as someone who she hardly knew touched me beyond measure. I happened to mention in a conversation where she was present that I wanted to step out and grab something for a memento before I left. Just a recap – my visit to Washington was a hectic one, I had to leave my last meeting to rush to the airport so I didn’t get a chance to do and see much.

Anyways, when she heard me saying this she gave me her phone (a very nice one at that) and gave me a number (of one of our colleagues) l could call if I got lost and so that she could come and get me. I was floored, I couldn’t believe it. I mean very few people would go to such lengths for a person they hardly know. She later on offered to take me to see the White House echoing that I should at least see one attraction in Washington before leaving. True to her word she did and she went on to take me countless pictures there with her phone cause the one I had took bad pictures. I will always remember her with a smile on my face. By the way she wasn’t only kind to me, but I later heard another colleague expressing how kind and lovely this lady is and how he was even moved to send her a gift to just say thank you at some point. So of course, I was so sad when in December last year I heard she was moving on to another job with another organization.


As I am writing this post I am just wondering if I ever did something for someone which meant a lot to them and touched them deeply such that they will never forget me the way I will not forget this lady. Either way I feel challenged and inspired to practice love and care to those around me even those people that I do not know much. I love the following verses from Philippians:
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may be innocent and pure as God's perfect children, who live in a world of corrupt and sinful people. You must shine among them like stars lighting up the sky, as you offer them the message of life. If you do so, I shall have reason to be proud of you on the Day of Christ, because it will show that all my effort and work have not been wasted – Philippians 2:14-16 (The Good News Translation).

We are supposed to live shinning like stars lighting up the sky in our environments. I saw this in the said lady; she is a breath of fresh air I tell you. I can bet where ever she is now she is still shinning with her kindness and good heart. With this inspiration alight in me I am striving to shine showing love and kindness to those around me. . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...