Thursday 12 February 2015

A Future Mum's Dream




Picture from here



History was my favourite subject when I was in High School. When I was reading history it was more than an academic experience for me. I would enter the world of King Lobengula, Shaka the Zulu, Peter the Great, Napoleon, the Renaissance and Reformation. I loved it. 
  
Today I am still very much of a reader. Reading is my get away, the place I can unwind and I get to chill out. This is one of the reasons why I try as much as possible to avoid reading sad books. There is already too much sadness in real life and taking a break from it all through reading is worth it for me. I know it sounds crazy but I secretly long that my children will also be readers like me. I already have a list of some of my favorite the books which I would love to read to them or for them to read on their own:


1.       Heidi by Johanna Spyri – this book started a long term longing which I still have even today. I will share more about that in another post.

2.       The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett – I won this book when I was 7 as a prize at school. I still have the copy somewhere at home, just need to go through all my old stuff.
3.       What Katy Did by Sarah Chauncey Woolsey – I enjoyed this so much that when I saw it in a bookstore a few years back I bought a copy.
4.       The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis - I remember reading the book first and the some Anglican priest and his wife coming to our school and showing us the movie.  Both made a big impression on me.
5.       Annie of Green Gables and all the subsequent books on the life of Annie by Lucy Maud Montgomery - I was introduced to this book my friend Ruth who also bought me my very own copy which I treasure.  I don’t know how I never read this when I was young. Anyhow it makes my list.
6.       Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – Although this book made me sad especially when Beth died. I still love it and I think it is a beautiful classic.
7.       Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren – came across this one when I was in Sweden and thought it was another great children’s book.

So many good books out there and the list could get too long because this future mamma has big dreams for her children. Any good books anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...