Thursday 6 November 2014

Hair Bravery

Last Month on the 3rd of October to be exact I decided to be brave and start rocking my natural hair (as in untreated hair). I have been plaiting for 4 years now, always adorning another haristyle on removing an old one. I was tired. I wanted a change. For quite a while now I have been admiring those who style their  natural hair without putting weaves, extensions or the like but I have been a whimp when it came to doing it myself. For a start I have unruly natural hair, the kind which is voluminous  (as in a lot) and shrinks like I dont know what when it's wet or raining. On the Friday I took the leap, I came from work and on the spur of the moment I decided that I was going to undo my hair and not plait it. I was going to start styling it myself.

To be honest the first two weeks it was hard and I struggled to style it despite the help of YouTube videos. Believe me those ladies on YouTube make it seem like a walk in the park. My hair was not cooperating and around that time it started raining on a regular basis. I was ready to throw in the towel but something urged me to keep going. Slowly I began to get used to my hair even when it had shrunk and styling it became easier.

I am not yet there but I am glad to say that a month down the line I am now more comfortable with my hair and sometimes a style pops in my head as I am mosterizing and combing it and I go with it. I am learning that I have it in me to be creative. Waking up a little bit earlier than I used to is now worth it as I feel more myself and at ease showing off my natural hair. When I am more confident with my stylings I will share some pictures but in the meanwhile :


I have always been adventurous with my hairstyles. I love trying out new and unique hairstyles. This is the last plaiting hairstyle I had before the decision not to plait anymore. I liked it but I think it would have been even nicer with some color.

I was walking in town the other day when I saw this style advertised on the window of one saloon. I instantly fell in love with the hair style.Unfortunately, when I enquired in the saloon they said they couldnt do this kind of locking so I am on the hunt for someone who can. I have done something similar before and it goes well with my natural hair. Can't wait to have this.

I wonder how long I will be able to go without plaiting my hair with braids or weaves? I am really enjoying having an afro, tying, scarving and pinning my natural hair. It sure feels great ...despite the the work that comes with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...