Thursday 9 October 2014

Jazz It Up

I was chatting with a new friend of mine on the morning of 26 September when she suddenly asked, ‘Do you want to go to the Standard Bank Joy of Jazz Festival. I have free tickets?’ I couldn’t believe it and there was no way I was going to say no. So we headed out for some Friday night fun and what a night it was! I am not a Jazz fan but I must say I was impressed with not only the talent which was there but with also the passion with which the musicians performed. It’s true that when you do what you love you don’t see your job as a burden or bore but as an enjoyable thing. I saw that in this Cuban Jazz pianist fireball Omar Sosa (I will call him fireball because he was awesome and his passion mesmerizing).
 
Me and my friend having fun with the instruments.


Loved this - to me it captured the essence of Jazz and the night.

For the romantics Ann Hampton Callaway was just perfect. Her music made one want to grab a loved one and start dancing.
 
Then there was Christian Scott – that man is one with his trumpet. His whole band was amazing particularly Isadora Mendez Scott (his wife) on the vocals. I was left wanting more from this performance.

To promote local South African composers and artists there was the Sounds of Democracy performance where local flavor was the order of the day. Boy, did people sing along and get lost in the songs performed by various local artists. There is nothing like hearing music in your mother tongue – it’s so easy to get lost in a song. 

Dwele – well then there was also Dwele (full name Andwele Gardner) – he is the performer who made us leave after 2 in the morning. He had the ladies swooning and passing him their phone numbers over the stage.

 
 

Dwele doing his thing – he is good performer. He grabs you and takes you on a musical journey. It wasn’t just about his singing but his creativity – there was no chance of getting bored.

 


Dwele Dwele Dwele - this man is a total flirt. I think he really liked this girl that he picked up from the crowd and began serenading on stage. Things were heating up on stage with Dwele suggesting his friends hanging out with her friends, when she ran off the stage. Apparently, there was one unamused boyfriend watching from below.  

After my time at the Joy of Jazz Festival I actually think that Jazz can grow on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...