Friday 26 March 2010

This 'n' that

Lately there have been a lot changes in my life, one of them being that I moved to a new town. So far things are going well but initially I was concerned about whether I would find a good church to go to since the church I was going to before I moved is not found here.The place I have moved to is a very small town, one of those places where most people know each other or at least are familiar with each other. There are very few shops especially clothing shops so if I want to do some serious shopping I have to got to one of the nearby big towns.

The first week I arrived I googled up the local churches, had a look at their websites and I selected the ones I thought I would be most comfortable going to. I am one person who loves church and I usually go to church most Sundays unless something beyond my control prevents me from going. So my first Sunday I went to one of the churches I had selected. I was taught that as a Child of God you are never a stranger in His house but in this particular church I failed to feel comfortable. People were occasionally glancing my way and yet no one came to greet me or talk to me. It made me feel very uncomfortable. I could not figure out if it was because I was the only one of me there or if it was because they rarely got new people and so when someone new came people would be curious. After the service I just picked up my Bible and notebook and left but I knew this was not the place for me.

The second week (last Sunday) I went to another church and I think I have found home. From the moment I arrived people where coming up to me greeting me and engaging me in small talk. I immediately felt at home. Someone even got me a drink and the Pastor came over to greet me and I was like "wow". After the service more people came to chat with me and I never felt out of place plus the service was good... oh I loved their praise and worship session. So I will be going there again this week and I am looking forward to making it my church. 

Has anyone gone through this kind of thing? I guess its one of the down sides of moving to small towns where there are fewer churches to choose from especially for people like me who are rather particular about the churches they go to.
Have a blessed weekend everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, tell me about it. I went to this church in the former city I was staying.... the church was good. I mean, the message was lovely and all but the people just kept to themselves. Honestly, I only visited there once. Even when I was invited there again, I didn't have the motivation to go. No one should be a stranger in God's house. Some churches need to learn this. If Jesus was that unwelcoming... perhaps we wldnt have the gospel this spread around today. Thanks for sharing jare.

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad really. Churches like this do chase away people. I wonder how then they expect to win souls if they are so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm.. some churches are just comfortable with themselves. I notice churches like that are the very conservational ones. The small community churches. They've known each other for long and you coming in there is like you are about to break a bond. lol
    Soul winning? I doubt if those are concerned about that. lol. Wait, maybe they go on missions.

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not have said it better LDP. I think they need to move out of their comfort zones if they want to make an impact for God.
    I admire those churches who make strangers feel welcome in the house of God. The Bible says that some have entertained angels unawares (Hebrews 13:2)so you never know...

    ReplyDelete

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...