Friday 5 February 2010

When letting go means total trust

Time and time again we have things that we do not want to let go of, I know I do. I remember one particular time when I did not want to let go of something. The worst part is that I did not want to be talked into letting go of this thing. My friends tried, my family tried but there I was still holding on. Besides feeling that the thing was not right for me and I knew in my heart that I had to let go - I kept holding on because I was too scared of what would happen if I took a step in different direction. But thankfully God was insistent - the situation got to a point where I had no choice but to let go and I am glad that I did.

This is just but one example. I am someone who occasionally struggles with letting go of things but in recent months I have learnt a very important lesson that it is only when I let go that God can fully work in my life. Those things that seem important to me, that I want so bad that at times I get angry at God for not giving them to me when I expect them, come between God and me causing a rift between us. I have on a number of occasions questioned myself as to whether I put what I want first before God such that I only see God as a means of getting what I want and when I do not I get angry, begin to question His love for me or wander away from Him. Jeremiah 17: 7 -8 is one verse that always speaks to me
' Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord, He is like a tree planted by the water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when the heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit'.
I am supposed to put my trust in the Lord and love Him for who He is and not only what He can do for me. The dreams and desires that I have the Lord knows, I mean I have told him a thousand times and He heard me all right the first I asked - what I need to do is to trust him completely and leave the fulfillment into His hands. H e knows me more than I know myself and hence knows whats best for me, He is the alpha and omega meaning he has peeped into my future and can tell what would be right or wrong for me - there is no better person to trust than Him. It is only when I get to a point when I can say 'God, this is what I want. I'd love for things to go this way. You know what's in my heart. If this is not Your best for me, God I am fine with it because I know You have something better in store' Joel Osteen, that I would have reached a certain level of Christian maturity.

When we let go and trust that God will do whats best for us we open doors for Him to work in our lives. This is one thing I want to do everyday - to let go of all my concerns, dreams, desires totally trusting God to take care of them and me such that however things turn out I will still love Him and not doubt His perfect will for my life. I can never go wrong when God is steering this ship.

3 comments:

  1. God is going to open so many doors for you and work in your life. He's good like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is indeed good. Thanks Margaret.
    Thank you for also being a part of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very true that at times we have to let go of some of the things that we cherish. It makes me think of John 15:1-2, particularly verse 2 which says, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." From this scripture I have learnt that God wants us to bear fruit in our lives. He wants us to make progress and if there is anything hindering us, He will remove it. Of course when we are going through the process of being pruned it does not feel good at all.However,I love the way God works in us.Reading further in the same chapter of John from verse 3 onwards, I realised that God has just made it so simple for us. The moment you realise that you need to let go of something, is the very moment you should surrender to Him because He is the Vine and we are the branches. Meaning that we are connected to Him such that it is only a matter of just trusting Him knowing that He has our best interests at heart.

    But it is also vital to note that sometimes its not only the things that we cherish that we should let go of. It can also be things like anger, hurt, bitterness, hatred...Letting go of these things also requires total trust in God especially when we feel that we have been wronged. Letting go of past hurts and disappointments and leaving them all to God surely displays that we trust God and believe that He will sort things out for us. It may also mean playing the fool and actually apologising to someone when we may actually think the other person should be the one apologising to us, simply because we wanna let go and let God. Thanx Shona for your inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...